Mechanical Engineering Consultants
A large HVAC system with a backup unit for a 6-storey office building in Edmonton, AB.
As a business owner, it's important for your building to have a reliable heating, cooling and plumbing systems. Keeping the air temperature warm in the winter and cool in the summer makes your employees and customers comfortable. And have a supply of fresh water for consumption and sanitation is a necessity of life. As mechanical engineering consultants, it's our job to work with you to design an effective and safe HVAC and plumbing system for your building.
Since no two buildings are the same, it's necessary to have our engineering partners design, customize and signoff the HVAC, plumbing and fire protection systems systems to national, provincial and municipal standards.
It's our job to work with business owners and architects to design an electrical system that right for you today and well into the future. Building safety and functionality is our #1 priority for commercial building design and industrial building design.
A rooftop unit of this size provides air-conditioning to a restaurant in a strip mall in Spruce Grove.
We design heating and cooling systems that bring life to a building's interior. We work with:
- Natural gas heating is the most cost-effective ways in Edmonton and northern Alberta.
- Electric and propane heating is used in rural, industrial properties.
- Electrical heat pumps are the most efficient in some locations.
- Rooftop units and air-conditions are used to cool entire sections of interior space.
- Designs must follow Alberta building and fire codes.
- We coordinate mechanical equipment with the fire alarm systems provided by the electrical consulting engineers.
Water intake for a condo building in St. Albert.
Separating fresh water from waste water isn't glamourous but it is one of the fundamental duties of mechanical consultants.
- We design your building to have the appropriate water supply for human consumption, industrial purposes and sprinkler systems.
- We connect the City's utility to your building's system to provide sanitation connections that have the capacity for the expected waste water.
- Provide hot water heating with natural gas or electricity that has the capacity for your occupancy load.
- Provide storm sewer services to remove rain water from the roof and away from the foundation walls that could lead to basement flooding.
- We work with all types of piping systems including air and natural gas systems.
Fire Protection Systems
The fire suppression system is hidden above the grill in a restaurant in Fort McMurray.
- Wet Systems - these pipes are always filled with water, ready to extinguish an immediate fire hazard.
- Dry Systems - which prevents water from freezing in pipes exposed to cold temperatures... and it gets cold in Fort McMurray!
- Foam Systems - which are used where large amounts of fuel are in a confined area.
- Chemical Systems - these are used in kitchen fire suppression systems where grease and oil fires need to smothered. Kitchen fire suppression is our speciality.
Pool design for public pools is regulated by the Government of Alberta, building codes and municipal ordinances. As engineers, it's our responsibility to ensure that provincial pool standards are designed well in advance of any digging. The final project is a perfect pool that meets water quality while operating as safely as possible. That's that makes for fun family times for all. Our engineering partners design and sign-off of public pools and spas in Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan and the North.
Other systems that keep your building functional and safe include:
- Heat and energy recovery systems
- Heating plant designs
- Chiller plant designs - for buildings 4 storeys and up.
- Displacement ventilation systems design - important for restaurants
- Compressed air and specialty fluid distribution systems - for industrial and light-industrial clients.
- Dust collection systems - a specialized industrial design service. Dust mitigation is important especially after the deadly industrial explosions at sawmills in BC.
- Medical gas systems - for medical and dental clinics
- Storm water retention & abatement systems - Melt-water from thick snow melt and rain-water from heavy down pours must be removed to reduce structural loads from buildings and channelled to the municipal storm water system without flooding your neighbour's property.
Making buildings functional, safe and compliant is what mechanical engineering consultants do on every project.